Bookmap log file names - 2 each time?

Custom indicators, trading strategies, data export and recording and more...
scotteza

Bookmap log file names - 2 each time?

Post by scotteza » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi there

Looking at my Bookmap logs folder, I can see two common log file types that match these two patterns: 
- log_20201029_201526_178-common.txt
- log_20201029_201526_179-trading.txt

I would like to know please:
- Does Bookmap always generate both a new "common" log file and a new "trading" log file every time you open it (i.e. for a single instance of my opening Bookmap, doing some stuff in the market, then closing Bookmap)?
- Does Bookmap ever write to a new log file once it is open? What I mean here is: is there ever a situation where I leave Bookmap open for a long time (e.g. 24 hours) and it will then generate more than one "common" log, or more than one "trading" log in that time?

Svyatoslav
Site Admin

Re: Bookmap log file names - 2 each time?

Post by Svyatoslav » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi,
2 logs are useful in case there is an issue requiring you to send logs to support. You don't have to send -trading log if your problem isn't related to orders, which prevents us from seeing your trading activity

Bookmap keeps log open for the length of the session, so normally there should be exactly 2 logs per session, regardless of session length

scotteza

Post by scotteza » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:39 pm

Great, thanks Svyatoslav!

Am I correct that every action that a trader takes in Bookmap related to orders and execution (e.g. entering positions, placing limit orders, closing positions, moving stop/limit orders, etc. etc.) will appear in the trading log files?

Svyatoslav
Site Admin

Post by Svyatoslav » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi. Almost. Every order sent by trader as well as modification/cancellation (e.g. "i want to place an order of size 10 @ price 500" or "i want to move an order from X to Y") will appear in the trading log file, as well as every response from data provider (L0 API module), though here it's important to know that it is a response after it's ingested by bookmap, not raw response from server.
Specifically attempt to close position will actually appear in common log but without details - just the fact that user tried to close it (no size, etc), but it will usually be indirectly visible in trading log too.

scotteza

Post by scotteza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Great, thank you for your detailed answer Svyatoslav!

Svyatoslav
Site Admin

Post by Svyatoslav » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:53 am

Correction on what I said: we actually do log position close and reverse in trading log directly. That was not the case in some older builds, but now we do.

scotteza

Post by scotteza » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:53 am

Svyatoslav wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:53 am
Correction on what I said: we actually do log position close and reverse in trading log directly. That was not the case in some older builds, but now we do.
Noted, thank you Svyatoslav.